Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's Official!


The corn snake formerly known as "Hey You" now has a name. Thanks to all the loyal readers who participated in our recent naming contest here and on Facebook. The winning name is ...


NACHO

Here is the vote count:

Nacho 15
Checkers/Patches 11
Fluffy 2
Mobius 2
Sir William Biscuit 2
Harry Potter related names 3
Houdini 2
Other write-ins (1 vote each) 9

Some of our mathematically gifted readers may notice that out of 27 replies we ended up with 46 votes. Life Sciences Manager Sarah Moore explains:

“I took some liberties here. For example some people voted more than once, saying in effect ‘I nominate the following write-in name but if you don’t use that, my preference among the offered choices is …X.’ In that case I counted both votes. I also included several votes that came to by other methods than the blog. Most families ended up all voting for the same name, and I counted all the votes. I’m honored that there were family discussions on this subject and I’m happy to give votes to those too young to post on our blog. I bundled together very similar names.”


No matter how we look at it, the people have spoken. Our new corn snake will henceforth and forever be known as Nacho!

The food photograph of nachos has been adapted from one in the public domain.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an example Instant-runoff voting - a voting system where choices are ranked, and if your first choice doesn't win your second choice gets counted, and so on. Read more about the interesting math and principles behind it here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

    ReplyDelete